How to: Use an import script to import data from ExcelDocument ID: DQ219
Relevant to following products: Manta WorkOut 2.0
Document description: How to: Use an import script to import data from Excel
The easiest way to transfer data from Excel to an Assay Protocol is described here.
However, if you cannot use Excel Add-Ins or you want to use one of the Assay Protocol Wizards to create a protocol then follow these instructions below to setup an import script to import data from an Excel file (these instructions are for 12x8 data):
- Download the import script from here unzip and save the file to the IScripts directory. For Manta this is C:\Program Files\Dazdaq\Manta\IScripts and for WorkOut 2.0 this is C:\Program Files\Dazdaq\WorkOut 2.0\IScripts)
- Your XLS spreadsheet should contain your 12x8 microplate data in Excel cells A1-L8 corresponding to the microplate wells A1-H12 as shown here (this file can be downloaded from here):
- It is important to understand that Assay Protocols can only import data from text files, it is therefore necessary to convert your Excel file to text. All you need to do is Open it in Excel, select File | Save As | Save as type Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt). Store it somewhere convenient. (An example file can be downloaded from here.)
- Make sure you close Excel before continuing (otherwise Manta/WorkOut 2.0 will not be able to open the text file)
- From Manta/WorkOut 2.0 select Create a new protocol option from the Organiser, use one of the Wizards to get started (such as the Quantitative wizard) and on the Data Acquisition Step, select Import data to analyse from a text file and then press Next (press Help if you need more info). On this step select the text file previously described (make sure it is not open in Excel or any other application), continue through the wizard. When the wizard is complete you can run the protocol for the first time. At this point the data will be imported and processed according to the settings in the protocol. You can refine the protocol as required for your analysis (and use File | Save As to create a further protocol)
- At this stage, you have a protocol and the results file. You can run the protocol again and import a different file to calculate more results. There are two ways of doing this, after you have your data in Excel you can use the Excel’s File | Save As | Save as type Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt) option to save the file as text. Then from Manta/WorkOut 2.0 select the protocol to run and then select this new text file.
As an alternative you can use the Excel Add-in described here. This macro saves your XLS file to a text file and you can then select the assay protocol to use.
DQ215: Can I transfer data from Excel to an Assay Protocol automatically?
How To: Transfer data from Excel to an Assay Protocol
DQ216: How To: Setup Excel for transferring data to an Assay Protocol.
How To: Setup Excel for transferring data to an Assay Protocol.
DQ217: How to: Use the Excel Add-in to transfer data to an Assay Protocol?
How to: Use the Excel Add-in to transfer data to an Assay Protocol?
DQ032: How do I use the changes I have made to the result analysis in future runs of the assay?
How To: Extract a version of the protocol for use in the future…